Happy Thursday, people of Sachem! Here’s everything you need to know about what’s happening in Sachem today.
First, today’s weather forecast:
A little sunny, windy and cool. High: 54 Low: 40.
Here are Sachem’s top 4 stories today:
- Tamarac Elementary School hosts an annual science fair. Students showcased their science skills through a series of assignments, filling the gymnasium with their projects. (Press Release Office)
- Samoset Middle Science students study and create Punnett squares. Students used erasable chalk markers on lab tables to create their own Punnett squares. The students were engaged and happy to use a non-traditional learning experience with their partner. (Press Release Office)
- Seneca Middle School hosts Multicultural and Diversity Week. “Seneca Prevention Advisor Stephanie Garcia and the World Languages Department, consisting of Ms. Fernandez, Ms. Laudicina, Ms. Markowitz, Ms. Mazzei, Ms. Mednik, Ms. Meric, and Ms. Peguero-Collazo, facilitated the activities, which included designing international menus and learning world dances in the classroom. An Island Empanada food truck selling empanadas was available, and student lecturers made daily announcements in their native languages such as Albanian, Ewe, Farsi, Spanish, Turkish and Urdu.” (Press Release Office)
- From MacArthur Airport to Raleigh, North Carolina, seasonal fighting begins this week. The inaugural flight to Raleigh, NC will begin on Frontier Airlines at 10 a.m. this morning. There will be a ceremony with Islip town officials and the Long Island Ducks mascot, Quackerjack. (Sachem patch)
Today in Sachem:
- Community Service: Creating and Designing Bookmarks – Teens Grades 6-12 – Brookhaven Free Library. (All day)
- Sea Glass Necklace: Grades 5-12 – Brookhaven Free Library. (6:00 p.m.)
- CRES Blue Jeans Ball – Timber Point Country Club. (6:30 p.m.)
- Options for Community Living, Inc. 40th Anniversary Gala and Casino Night. (6:30 p.m.)
- Child of Holocaust Survivors – Islip Public Library. (7:00 p.m.)
- The Chosen Season 2 – Church of the Good Shepherd. (7:00 p.m.)
- Adult Intermediate Ballet Class – Long Island Ballet. (7:30 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- Sachem Library: The library wants to know if you think books can make people better? Click the link and let them know! (Facebook)
- Sachem Schools: The 5th Annual Career Connection was held in Sachem East and 45 companies attended to talk about future opportunities. “I had the pleasure of attending the career event and I enjoyed this event and I think it impacted the way I view the careers available in my future,” the student said. Steven Azzara. “My eyes have been opened to jobs I never thought I would do or even knew existed.” (Facebook)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
- Zumba 101 + Yoga Nidra Guided Meditation (April 30)
- Spanish Lessons for Adult Beginners – Get a FREE Assessment and Demo (May 3)
- Hire a pro to tackle mom’s to-do list (May 8)
- Add your event
Other classified ads:
Please follow and stay informed. See you soon!
— Andrew Tessler
About me: Hi! My name is Andrew and I have been a resident of Huntington for 7 years. I’ve lived in other countries and states, and my number one love is Huntington. I love health and wellness, travel, stand-up paddleboarding and of course going to restaurants and events in Huntington!
Do you have a topical tip or a suggestion for an upcoming Sachem Daily? Contact me at Sachem@patch.com