Parents and caregivers don’t have to go it alone when it comes to providing their children with some of the necessities to start school. A host of groups and organizations are stepping in to help with free gifts including backpacks, paper, pencils and services.
Here’s where you can get some of these freebies:
New Horizon Family Health Services Inc.
Backpacks will be distributed at the following offices on August 9. You don’t need to be patient to participate. The back to school backpack giveaway is part of New Horizons’ week-long celebration of National Health Center Week.
- 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. Dental Office – 1 Memorial Medical Drive, Greenville
- 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. – 975 West Faris Road, Greenville
- 2pm-3pm Travelers Rest Office – 1588 Geer Highway
- 4:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. Greer Office – 111-A Berry Avenue
Molina Healthcare of South Carolina and Unity Health on Main
- 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. August 17at Unity Health on Main (in the parking lot) 505 North Main St., Suite C, Greenville
Three hundred drawstring bags filled with school supplies will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. Children can also benefit from free haircuts. Medicaid recipients and uninsured people can also get free vaccinations if they bring their vaccination records. Refreshments will be provided, as well as the opportunity to take photos with Dr. Cleo, Molina’s doctor-cat mascot.
The event is free and open to the public.
United Way of Greenville County School Tool Giveaway Day
Free school supplies and backpacks for K-4 students.
- 8am-10am August 17Sterling School Gymnasium, 99 John McCarroll Way, Greenville and Center for Community Services: 1102 Howard Drive, Simpsonville
- 9am-11.30am and 1.30pm-3.30pm August 13Foothills Family Resource Centre: 3 Main Street, Slater
Carolina Family Services
Free book bags while supplies last filled with notebook paper, notebooks, pencils, erasers, glue, scissors, crayons, food and games for students in grades K-5 . The child must be present.
- 10 a.m. to noon August 1017 Memorial Medical Drive, Greenville
Haywood Shopping Center
Goodie bags for the first 200 Family Club members who present their card or sign up, door prizes, fashion presentations, retailer and vendor presentations, entertainment, shopping, and more.
- 1-3 p.m. August 3in center court.
A special touch by Ellisha
Free school supplies while they last. The child must be present.
- 9 am August 10at 728 Lowndes Hill Road, Suite #E, Greenville,
Sterling Community Center
Free supplies and food for students ages 3-18. Shows, games and gifts.
- 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. August 17at the Greenville County Rec-Sterling Community Center, 113 Minus St., Greenville.
Sassy Snow Cones and CHIPS (Child Injury Prevention Services)
Discount of school supplies for the start of the school year. Vendors, bouncy houses, slime station, food, music and more.
1 p.m. – 6 p.m. August 18Sterling Community Center, 113 Minus Street, Greenville
Greenville Triumph vs. Forward Madison
- 7 p.m. August 17 – Back to school party with a gift for a children’s pencil pouch. The first 1,000 children to participate in the game will receive a pencil case filled with a Triumph pencil, ruler, eraser and sharpener. Get tickets here.
Tracy and Sunshine Gantt Ministries, Town of Easley and Caring & Nurturing
More than 1,000 backpacks to give away. There will also be a community barbecue, musical bounce houses and prizes. Children must be present to receive a backpack
- 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. August 10Pope Field Park, 310 Pope Field Road, Easley,
- 2 p.m. – 5 p.m. August 11 (Free haircuts and hairstyles for all school-aged children at Upstate College of Cosmetology. Appointment required.)
Grace Cathedral Ministries
Free book bags, school supplies, food, games, STEM activities, and more.
- Noon to 6 p.m. August 10200 Assembly Drive, Piedmont
DO YOU LIKE WHAT YOU READ ?
Support stories like this by supporting local journalism. Please consider becoming a subscriber. Here is our special offer.
Back to School in Pickens County: 7 things to know before the first day of school
Name this giraffe:Help name the new giraffe at the Greenville Zoo
Duty Free Weekend in South Carolina: Here’s what you can buy for back to school and beyond