LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — On Monday, school will be back in session for students and staff in the Clark County School District. With monkeypox and inflation worries plaguing parents, this year will likely be just as exciting and overwhelming for students and parents.
From how to get school supplies to how to ease first-day anxiety, here’s everything you need to know before the first day of school.
Back-to-school coverage of 13 Action News
- Back-to-school tips to get organized and ease anxiety
“If your child is feeling anxious on the first day, experts suggest trying a trial run. The Child Mind Institute suggests visiting the school ahead of time to help your child find their class or practice getting out of the car at the drop point Any opportunity for exposure and rehearsal can help build confidence.
- CCDS COVID-19 New School Year Vaccine Requirements
“Paediatrician Dr Anita Henderson says that while they don’t need the COVID-19 vaccine, new students should always be aware that there are other new vaccination mandates this year, especially for those who enter college. Immunize Nevada has a complete list of back-to-school vaccination requirements on its website.
- Teacher Superstore opens to provide educators with low-cost school supplies
“The Teacher Superstore provides school supplies to teachers to reduce out-of-pocket expenses, and these supplies are then shared with students who often cannot afford them. For a small membership fee of $26, a teacher can get up to $500 worth of supplies from the store.
- Two new schools open in downtown Las Vegas
“Superintendent Jesus Jara addressed the predominantly Hispanic crowd gathered for the occasion in Spanish at the grand opening of the new Global Community High School, as he will focus on educating children who have difficulty speaking English. “
See also: A new charter school is about to open doors
- Clark County School District hires more than 880 new teachers and 100 bus drivers amid staff shortages
“CCSD will begin the 2022-23 school year with a licensed teacher in approximately 91% of classrooms and a bus driver for approximately 90% of routes. The CCDS will also continuously recruit for all vacancies throughout the school year and expects recruitment rates to improve over time.
Simple ways to save on back-to-school supplies
Parents are sending their children back to school amid record inflation, which means school supplies are more expensive than in previous years.
The average family is expected to spend almost $60 more on school supplies this year than just two years ago, according to the National Retail Federation.
BACK TO SCHOOL: Simple ways to save on supplies
Back-to-school shopping: Simple ways to save on supplies
Across the valley, the Las Vegas community is stepping up to help families seek help getting needed school supplies into their children’s backpacks ahead of the first day of school on Aug. 8 .
Organizations offering help with school supplies:
Salvation Army – Back to School Assistance Program
Children and teens can receive a new backpack full of school supplies needed for their grade level through the program. The supplies will be distributed the first week of August, the organization said in a press release.
Parents and guardians can apply online at the Salvation Army website
Project 150 – Homeless Services for Students
- Where: 3600 N. Rancho Drive, Las Vegas, NV 89130
- Phone: 702-721-7150
Details: Free school supplies and clothing are available for homeless students. There may also be clothing and gas vouchers for parents, as well as access to computer labs, hygiene supplies, and haircuts for students.
Operation Homefront Back to School Brigade
Details: Students with active or veteran military parents (K-12) can get free back-to-school supplies, bags, calculators, pens, and more.
The Restoration Lighthouse Organization
- Where: 2300 West Sahara Ave., Las Vegas, NV, 89102
- Phone: 702-856-4660
Details: They help single mothers or grandparents looking after children. Thanks to donations, students from kindergarten to middle school can obtain supplies. There may be gift cards, pens, pencils, socks, backpacks, calculators, and additional supplies and resources.
Where to find a back-to-school supply drive or event:
The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department will distribute 13,000 backpacks over two weeks
Backpacks will be distributed at 12 different locations in the valley, making it easy for students to pick up school supplies in their own neighborhood. Families are invited to visit the backpack distribution nearest to their home. Children must be present to receive a backpack.
The dates and locations are as follows:
- Tuesday, July 26 at 4 p.m. – Walnut Recreation Center (3075 N. Walnut Rd., Las Vegas, NV 98115)
- Wednesday, July 27 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. — Woofter Park (1600 Rock Springs Drive, Las Vegas, NV 89128)
- Saturday, July 30 at 11 a.m. — International Villas Apartments (4630 Koval Ln., Las Vegas, NV 89109)
- Saturday, July 30, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. — Windmill Library (7060 W. Windmill Ln., Las Vegas, NV 89113)
- Saturday, July 30 at 9 a.m. – Bob Price Recreation Center (2050 Bonnie Ln., Las Vegas, NV 89156)
- Tuesday, August 2 from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. — Dean Peterson Elementary School (3650 Cambridge St., Las Vegas, NV 89169)
- Thursday, August 4 at 10 a.m. – Cashman Park (3100 S. Warnock Rd., Las Vegas, NV 89102)
- Saturday, August 6 at 10 a.m. — Doolittle Community Center (1950 J Street, Las Vegas, NV 89106)
- Saturday, August 6 at 11 a.m. — Parkdale Recreation & Senior Center (3200 Ferndale St., Las Vegas, NV 89121)
Discount backpacks for back to school
- When: July 26 from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Where: Walnut Recreation Center — 3075 N. Walnut Rd., Las Vegas, NV 89115
Details: Free backpacks and school supplies will be available at the event hosted by Commissioner William McCurdy.
We are one week away from our back to school giveaway at the Walnut Rec Center. Bring your kids on July 26 to pick up a free backpack, get their back-to-school shots, sports physicals, school supplies and more. Contact my office at (702) 455-3239 for more information. pic.twitter.com/XyqoA9PC7I
— Commissioner William McCurdy II (@CommishMcCurdy) July 20, 2022
Discount backpacks for back to school
More than 40 community organizations join Clark County Commissioner William McCurdy in distributing 2,000 backpacks and school supplies to children.
- When: July 28 from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Where: Pearson Community Center (1625 W. Carey Ave., North Las Vegas, NV 89032)
Details: In addition to backpacks and school supplies, it will also be possible to receive back-to-school vaccinations, sports physical exams and other community resources. Sweet treats, a balloon artist, children’s characters and other family activities round out the events.
Nevada Partnership for Homeless Youth
- When: July 28 and July 29
- Where: 4981 Shirley St., Las Vegas, NV 89119
Details: School supplies, including backpacks, will be distributed during the two-day event.
Las Vegas Leading Ladies Back-to-School Block Party
- When: Friday, July 29 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Where: 3838 Raymert Dr., Las Vegas, NV 89121)
Details: Free food, free health resources and vaccines, free backpacks, free school supplies and free dental kits will all be available. RSVP by calling 1-888-843-5855 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Family Resource Fair and Backpack Distribution
- When: July 30 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Where: Desert Breeze Park — 8275 Spring Mountain Road, Las Vegas, NV 89147
Details: There will be food, community resources, library card services, raffles, activities, rides, games, food trucks, and more. Hosted by curator Justin Jones.
Back to school “Pack the bag”
- When: August 6 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Where: Henderson Equality Center — 1490 W. Sunset Rd. Suite 120, Henderson, NV 89014
Details: There will be 500 free backpacks with school supplies distributed. In addition to backpacks, families can access food boxes, local resources, school supplies, and more.
Las Vegas Back to School Event
- When: August 7 from 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Where: Downtown Container Yard
Details: Enjoy local dance school performances, magic shows, giveaways, free school supplies, and more.