The National Federation of High School Associations has done a remarkable job of explaining the benefits of high school activities, and in its case for high school activities, the NFHS explains in detail how high school activities improve the education of high school students-athletes.
The NFHS states:
“The National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) and its member state associations champion inter-school sports and the performing arts as they promote citizenship and sportsmanship among the 11 million students who participate. at national scale. Activity programs instill a sense of pride in the school and in the community, teach life-long lessons and teamwork and self-discipline skills, and facilitate the physical and emotional development of the country’s youth.
There is no better time than now to make “the case for high school activities”. Education and community leaders across America need the facts in this material documenting the benefits of participating in inter-school sports, music, drama, debates, and other activities, to provide support. necessary for these programs. These activities provide important developmental experiences that enrich a high school student’s life and experience, and these programs must be protected and supported. “
The cost-benefit ratio of high school activities is briefly explained by the NFHS:
“At a cost of just one to three percent (or less in many cases) of a school’s overall budget, high school activity programs are one of the best deals today. It is in these vital programs – sport, music, speech, drama, debate – that young people learn lifelong lessons that complement the academic lessons taught in the classroom. From a cost perspective, activity programs are an exceptional bargain when compared to the overall education budget of the school district. – NFHS
The NFHS supports extracurricular activities in the following ways:
- Rules drafting process – The NFHS annually produces more than eight million copies of publications and support material for 14 rulebooks covering 16 sports. The NFHS publishes case books, officials’ manuals, simplified and illustrated manuals and books in many sports.
- The NFHS Learning Center – The NFHS Fundamentals of Coaching course offers a unique student-centered program for interschool coaches that helps coaches create a healthy, age-appropriate athletic experience. The course can be taken online or in a blended face-to-face delivery option. With more than a million courses viewed and taken, this tool improves the education of adults who are committed to the well-being of their young people. You can access more information by going to www.nfhslearn.com.
- National month of high school activities – High schools across the country are encouraged to promote the values inherent in high school athletics, speech, music, drama, debate and spirit teams during this October celebration.
- Public service announcements – Various sportsmanship posts are created and broadcast in electronic and radio formats, as well as healthy lifestyle posts that address difficult but current topics such as steroid use and hazing education.
- High School Activities: A Community Investment in America – This presentation is an NFHS educational product. You can order this CD-ROM by calling NFHS Customer Service at 800-776-3462.
- SPORTSMANSHIP. IT’S YOURS. ™ TOOLKIT – This initiative aims to improve sportsmanship in schools and the community. You can order this toolkit by calling NFHS Customer Service at 800-776-3462.
In our 9-part series with OnFocus on NFHS and the Benefits of High School Activities, we’ll take an in-depth look at 8 benefits of participating in parallel high school programs. Watch for additional information here with OnFocus.news.
We welcome your stories! Contact us at [email protected]!